Arranging to Stay
Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis to families of seriously ill children who live a minimum of 10 miles outside the House locations and who are referred by a health care provider.
Up to six families can stay in the New Brunswick. Our Houses are open and staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Whether a guest family needs to stay for a few nights or a few months, we can accommodate their needs. Families are asked to contribute $10 per night toward the cost of their stay, but they are not turned away based on finances.
Reservations should be made in advance, usually through a referral from a health care professional. Families are welcome to visit the House prior to staying.
Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis to families of seriously ill children. Patients must:
- Be 21 years of age or under.
- Be undergoing active medical treatment.
- Reside outside a 10-mile radius of the New Brunswick House.
The family must have a referral/verification from their designated healthcare facility, such as through a nurse, social worker or doctor. Please note that we do our best to accommodate everyone, but sometimes we are full and have to put families on a waiting list.
Any family member who has been exposed to chicken pox, measles, influenza, or any other communicable disease within three weeks prior to registration will not be allowed to stay.
Each family is asked to contribute $10 per night toward the cost of their stay, which includes a room, bathroom, towels, bedding and a telephone. To maintain the nominal room rate, families are responsible for their own housekeeping. Families are asked to pay upon check out. Families are never turned away based on finances. If payment is a problem, please discuss this with the House Manager during check in.
Reserving a Room
Reservations should be made in advance for the New Brunswick House by calling 732-249-1222. Referrals are usually made by designated health professionals in area hospitals (such as a nurse, social worker or doctor).
Families may call either House directly, in which case verification of a hospital admission must occur before admission. When a referral is made, we ask for some basic information about the patient (such as name, date of birth, the reason for the stay and the name of the hospital and unit where the patient is receiving treatment) and the family (such as name, address and phone number). A valid photoID is required at the time of check in.
Families can register anytime between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. daily. Once registered, families may come and go as they please 24 hours a day.
Rules and Policies
Guests should follow these simple rules for the comfort of everyone in the House:
- Illegal drugs, alcoholic beverages, firearms and weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- Smoking is NOT allowed anywhere on House premises.
- All eating/drinking must be confined to the kitchen and dining area.
- Proper attire, including a shirt and shoes, must be worn in all common areas at all times.
- Families are asked to respect each other at all times.
- Good hand washing is essential to minimize the risk of infection.
- Visitors are welcome from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. All visitors must check in through the office.
- No medical treatment may be administered in the House. Arrangements and treatment sites are the responsibility of the families and the medical professionals ordering the treatment.
- Each family is responsible for cleaning their own rooms and dishes, doing their laundry, preparing their own meals (when not prepared by a volunteer) and helping to keep the common areas clean.
- Activity should be curtailed between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. to allow quiet time.
- Room occupancy is limited by room size. All persons staying in a room must be registered.
- No pets may be brought into the House.
- Children must be supervised at all times by an adult.
- The Ronald McDonald House is not responsible for personal belongings left in the House, on the property or in vehicles on the premises.
- Solicitation of any type is prohibited.
- Due to the high demand for the use of the Ronald McDonald House, we have a 30-day review policy. Our staff will check in with each family every 30 days to assess their situation and continued need for the House. At that time, we will request access to the room to ensure cleanliness.